|Ruby on Rails||x|
Software Engineer, Liaison Technologies
2015 – present
I designed and implemented a distributed, streaming, immutable, event-sourced cloud database for semi-structured enterprise data, plus a few AI-based microservices for extracting structured intel out of the semi-structured streams of data in our database. The business goal is to flexibly extract intelligible data from customers’ data banks. Everything is done in Clojure, on a private cloud infrastructure with Docker containers as deployable microservices.
Software Engineer, Thermo Fisher
A short contract job that involved writing services and UIs for creating and running hardware tests on all of Thermo Fisher’s equipment. The application allowed field technicians to collaborate on custom diagnostic tests for each instrument, connect to any instrument on the network, run tests remotely or on-site, etc. The end product is deployed as a Docker container onto mostly Windows machines used by Thermo Fisher technicians. Tech stack: Typescript UI, Python backend, CouchDB datastore.
Software Engineer, WholeLatteLove.com
As a full-stack developer, I was responsible for the DevOps workflow on AWS and legacy servers, setting up and doing deployments, diagnosing and fixing bugs, managing a git workflow between in-office and remote developers, and coding new features on both the frontend and backend.
- Moved a legacy Rails app from a small, unreliable data center to AWS, complete with continuous integration, continuous deployment, and automated testing with an external provider.
- Updated a large Rails ecommerce engine we depend on, Spree, which required resolving changes made to a fork of Spree and bringing us back onto the main codebase.
- Developed a data generator to easily replicate our production environment in staging.
- Created a suite of simulation tests for our legacy order processing systems using the Clojure framework Simulant.
Lead Developer, Nebula Bio (Open Source Project)
2014 – 2016
With a biomedical engineer partner, I was developing an open source, low cost, portable blood analyswas platform. Our goal was to be the “Arduino of biotech”. All development was done on GitHub.
- Designed a POSIX-compatible driver for a custom potentiostat.
- Created a custom crowdfunding webapp with a REST API in Clojure, deployed on Heroku.
- Created a GUI in Python for the driver, and beginning beta testing with crowdfunders/customers.
- Lead and handle all project management and financial aspects of the project.
Mentor in Data Science and Web Apps, Thinkful
2014 – 2015
Taught data science and full-stack web development with Python to new and intermediate students. I also helped develop their curriculum by writing tutorials and exercises for each of the courses I taught.
2012 – 2013
An RIT sponsored startup project that lasted for about a year, in which we developed novel headgear padding for athletes. My main role was in guiding the scientific research, while solely managing the fundraising (grants and private investment). In a 4-person team, we developed an algorithm for optimizing our custom padding to a specific position within a specific sport. Patent concerns made us shut down this part of the project. We then prototyped and programmed an accelerometer to be housed inside a helmet and signal to the athlete the severity of an impact. Reebok released their CheckLight product before we finished developing, and so scooped the market. All algorithm programming was done in Matlab.
2012 – 2014
As a freelance developer, I created two ecommerce systems in PHP, a ClojureScript front-end website to be used as a landing page, and worked on an e-magazine site for a local Rochester magazine.
Rochester Institute of Technology
2010 – 2014
Graduated with a degree in Philosophy, while concentrating in biotechnology and pre-med classes. While I was in college I was the founder or president of three clubs, co-created a fitness lab, and conducted bioinformatics research in Perl. I also researched and wrote an extensive thesis on contemporary Levinasian ethics, for which I received high marks from my philosophy thesis advisor.